National carrier Nigeria Air to start operations in April 2022
â¢ FG, Nigerians hold 51 shares, to generate 70,000 jobs
Deji Elumoye in Abuja
The national carrier, Nigeria Air, is expected to begin flight operations by April 2022. The new official airline would have 51% of its shares held by the Nigerian government and people, with foreign partners holding the remaining 49%.
The company is expected to generate 70,000 jobs.
These were leaked to reporters yesterday by Aviation Minister Senator Hadi Sirika at the end of the weekly virtual Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari at the State House, Abuja.
Sirika explained that in the new national carrier, the federal government would hold 5% of the shares, Nigerian entrepreneurs 46% of the shares, while the expected international strategic partners would have 49 shares.
Sirika pointed out that the FEC had given its approval for the new national carrier. He said more than 400,000 Nigerians participated in the name selection, which was launched in 2018.
According to him, âtoday (Wednesday) in the Council, civil aviation presented two memoranda. One of the memos is the approval of the business case for establishing the national carrier and this is the sixth time that the memo has been presented to the Board. The sixth time we were lucky enough to be adopted by the Council.
“The proposed airline structure: the government will own no more than five percent.” So five percent is the maximum capital the government will take, then 46 percent will be owned by Nigerian entrepreneurs. So if you add that up, it’s 51%.
âThis is a 51% majority stake by Nigerians, then 49% will be held by one or more strategic partners in capital that will be supplied during the procurement phase, which is the next phase.
âThis airline, if launched, and in the first few years, will generate around 70,000 jobs. Those 70,000 jobs are more than the total number of public servants we have in the country. Its importance had been well discussed so I will not come back to it. You had discussed it separately also on various forums as to its necessity. “
Sirika took note of the African Union’s Agenda 2063 on the continent’s trade integration, and of another flagship project, the Single African Air Transport Market (SAATM).
âNow the only, the fastest way to integrate Africa is by air, because if you want to interconnect all 54 nations of Africa, by rail, road or waterways, which is even impossible, the amount of money that you have to do all this, the time it will take to develop that infrastructure, as well as the cost of maintenance, is almost prohibitive, âhe said.
The Minister added: âThe name is Nigerian Air, which of course if you remember back in time it was the subject of a national debate and 400,000 people participated, chose the name, the color. , the logo, everything and it was produced. this moment. It was also launched at Farnborough as early as 2018.
âSo the business case is a public document. It will be on our website, you can download it, and we can provide you with copies. This airline will resume and start up, by the grace of God, in or before April 2022. “
The Minister added that the FEC also approved another note for the award of a contract for the supply of automated regulatory equipment for civil aviation, including software support and training, which will be located at the Abuja Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport.
He said: âIn summary, this is software that will allow all civil aviation regulatory activities to be done electronically on a single platform, including payments, license tracking. personnel, medical examinations, economic regulation of airlines, safety regulations. airlines and all other businesses within the civil aviation envelope will be monitored by this unique software.
“It is called ‘the truth machine’ in quotes in Europe, because the whole truth of the regulation of civilization will appear on this platform, it is extremely important software that the world has now come to terms with. .
âThe contract was awarded to MM. Arif Investment Nigeria Limited, who are representatives of Empik GmbH. This Empik are the creators of this software, the only one of its kind in the world, for the sum of N 1 492 520 325, which will include 7.5% VAT and a completion period of six months.