Back to the rumors: February 15-21, 2021
Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we take a look at the rumors from six months ago and see what unfolded as originally stated. Let’s get right to the point.
February 15, 2021
- The plans originally called for Roman Reigns to defend the Universal title in an Elimination Chamber match at next Sunday’s PPV, according to Wrestling Observer Radio.
- The tribal leader is above all of this.
- A source told Ringside News that was Reigns’ call to switch to the current plan: “They weren’t bringing him into this room. No chance.”
- It didn’t make sense to his character. The way he took advantage of an exhausted Bryan was a much better play. I also appreciate that Roman has this type of autonomy over his character. More people in WWE should.
- According to PW Insider, all that was planned for Sammy Guevara at Impact before he was ruled out of the creative differences would have been a “short storyline.”
- There does not appear to have been a persistent problem because of this. Maybe there are still some hurt feelings, but it didn’t really hurt anything. Sammy is always very reserved because Jericho helps him to become a great babyface. The partnership with Impact is still very strong. Looking back six months later, it looks like it didn’t cause any harm.
- During his post-TakeOver media call, Triple H said the NXT women’s title match at Revenge day had more time than he had used. Because some things didn’t go as planned, like the announcer table that collapsed as she was preparing to use it in a location, the performers had to improvise and didn’t last that long.
- I remember this game was not as strong as it should have been.
- Independent wrestler Blake Christian, who recently worked with Impact, and Harlem Bravado, formerly of Evolve, will join Taya Valkyrie in the upcoming Performance Center class.
- Looks like they’re both in WWE. (2/2)
February 16, 2021
- WWE distributes talent “violations” for social media posts that mention a third-party company, person, brand or charity, Wrestling Inc. reports.
- They really braked.
- “Violations” start with a warning before moving on to fines and suspensions. WWE cites a clause in talent contracts that grants them exclusive use of signatories’ likenesses to claim ownership of talent’s Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- They really extend that definition of an independent contractor.
- As you might expect, it didn’t go well in the locker room, but Inc says the telltale WWE talent who complains the company could take away “the current” flexibility “allowed on social media “.
- There was a rumor we looked into last week regarding low morale in the locker room. It couldn’t help matters.
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said he heard an Impact person say that creator Sammy Guevara refused “it was something he should have refused”.
- I remember hearing that maybe he did something with Decay that didn’t seem like his character.
- PW Insider said the New Japan / Impact crossover deal was in the works before the AEW and New Japan deal was in place.
- The forbidden door is wide open.
February 17, 2021
- Dave Meltzer mentioned on Wrestling Observer Radio that there is something going on with Keith Lee and that he could be taken out of the US title match at Disposal chamber.
- He was not at Elimination Chamber. We recently learned that he was suffering from frightening sequelae of COVID.
- Besides, Meltzer says none of the games under the top three are certain at this point.
- Some shows are more in motion than others.
- PW Insider notes that MVP legitimately suffered a leg injury on Raw this week and he’s already traveled to Alabama to get tested.
- He still uses the cane. Probably longer than it needs like a heel usually does.
- Wrestling Inc says WWE learned of Lacey Evans’ pregnancy during the day and rewrote Raw for later that evening.
- They should be used for last minute rewrites at this point.
- According to talkSPORT, Millie McKenzie has signed with WWE to be part of the NXT UK brand.
- Looks like this is where she does her job. (1/1)
February 18, 2021
- Fans on Twitter were concerned after Kyle O’Reilly was taken from the ring on a stretcher after NXT stopped broadcasting last night, but FOX’s Ryan Satin reports it was a job and O’Reilly wasn’t doing That sell the Adam Cole attack that shut down the show.
- That was when people thought he was having a seizure, I believe.
- Damian Priest made a big impression behind the scenes on the main roster, according to Fightful Select. He liked it “extremely well” and a source told the site at Rumble Royal & the following night Raw The priest “did everything he could expect of him after being thrown into the deep end”.
- It was generally well booked. Not great but pretty good. I wonder if it was better if he had randomly teamed up with Kevin Owens a few months before this idea was thrown out.
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said the stars of NXT (aside from Finn Balor and possibly Adam Cole) make between $ 100 and $ 150,000 a year. New signatories start between $ 50 and $ 60,000.
- It’s not horrible, but $ 50,000 to $ 60,000 is not a lot. In my opinion, if they can live fully off their paycheck comfortably enough, that’s OK. Unlike some minor league baseball franchises, players must get side jobs.
- Also from WOR, Meltzer confirms that Bo Dallas is still on the WWE roster but has no plans to use him: “He still has a job. No idea what or why or anything. It is a great mystery.
- He was finally released. So it was true that he was on the list without any plans. (1/1)
- Another item from Observer Radio – AXS TV wanted New Japan to come back to their network, but NJPW felt Roku was the best strategy game.
- This famous Roku channel.
February 19, 2021
- Asked about the possibility of Tessa Blanchard signing with AEW, Tony Schiavone said: “I don’t think that’s happening, at least not anytime soon.”
- It didn’t happen anytime soon. (1/1)
- According to Ringside News, Vince McMahon “still doesn’t understand” Keith Lee, including his promos.
- That wasn’t the reason he was out at the time, but it could still be true.
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said McMahon sees nothing in Andrade and Aleister Black.
- Probably correct since neither one nor the other works there anymore.
- According to Meltzer, the match announced on NXT between Karrion Kross and Santos Escobar could not take place this week for “medical reasons”.
- This quarrel was good.
- HeelByNature mentions that WWE actually registered the name “LA Night”, even though Eli Drake’s new name in the promotion is “LA Knight”.
- Maybe someone will have the name LA Night as well.
February 20, 2021
- WrestleVotes says a source told them the latest WrestleMania map had Edge v Roman Reigns, Bianca Belair v Sasha Banks, Randy Orton v Bray Wyatt and a Bad Bunny tag team match for the show.
- The Roman match was a triple but the rest is okay. (3/4)
- They also say the WWE Championship Game is currently open, like everything else on the map. But none of this is set in stone yet.
- It was Drew McIntyre challenging Bobby Lashley, who had not won the title at the time of this rumor.
- Combative notes that a pilot has been taped for a new show called “NXT Evolve”, although it is not known what will come out of it, if any.
- Nothing will come of it.
- According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Kairi Sane was recently unable to get permission from WWE to wrestle for Stardom on her March 3 show in Tokyo.
- That’s a shame. If she wants to wrestle again, I hope she will.
- There has been talk of the return of New Japan Pro Wrestling on AXS TV, according to the Observer.
- This does not happen. (0/1)
This week: 8/10 – 80%
Total: 3,845 / 6,836 – 56.2%
Have a great week everyone!